Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Jeju

This past weekend I went to Jeju with Adventure Korea. I went with them last october on their DMZ trip as well. They have a lot of different trips that they offer on weekends throughout the year. Mainly other foreigners go on the trips. Its a really good idea and I would recommend using them.
Anyway, Friday night I went out with Kristina and Abby for galbi and then we went to rnb. Maybe not the best idea considering I had to be at the airport by 7:00 the next morning. Oh well, it was fun and I made it to the airport in time. Our flight was at 8 something, and we got to Jeju at 9 something.
First, we went to Seonyeo and Namuggun, which was like a museum that you go through to see what Korea was like in the 60's and 70's. Not the most exciting thing ever, but it was interesting. There was a random haunted house in there too. Not too sure how that was supposed to fit in.
After that we went to Sangumburi, which is an extinct volcano. They kept talking about seeing lava tubes. I'm not really sure what that even means. I don't think any of us really did. The crater was covered with grass and trees.

Next, we got to go ride horses! That was a little scary cause I don't know much about riding horses, and the guy leading us didn't speak much English. We rode around a little fenced off area. We had sticks that he kept telling us to hit the horses with, but I wasn't about to try that. It was fun when the horses were walking slow, but at the end he had them going faster, which was kinda scary. I'm sad I didn't get any pictures of the horse-riding experience.
After the horses, we went to have traditional Jeju black pork BBQ for lunch. It wasn't actually black. It was good though.
After lunch we took a ferry to Udo Island, which is supposed to be shaped like a cow. I never did see the cow, but it was nice. On the island, we saw a rock shaped like a lion.

That might've been sunrise peak. The view was really nice from there. We also went to a coral sand beach.
We had dinner at a Korean buffet. The food was good, but I wasn't feeling great.
Some of the group went out after we got to the hotel, but I decided to get some sleep. The hotel was really nice. Apparently some of the rooms didn't have beds, which is not unusual in Korea, but our room was like a typical western style hotel room. I had two roommates, one from South Africa, and one from Switzerland. They were both really nice.
Sunday, we got up early and walked around the area our hotel was in. We were right by the beach. There was a really nice view from our room.
When we checked out of the hotel, we went to a place called Happytown to see a Chinese acrobatic show and motorbike show. It was really crazy. They were walking on each other's heads and doing all kinds of crazy stuff. For the motorbike thing, they had this giant ball that they kept sending guys on moterbikes into one at a time. They eventually got 7 in there. I have some videos that I'll try to get posted on facebook soon.
Next we went to a tea farm. That wasn't amazing, but all the green was pretty...
For lunch we went to another Korean buffet. The food was really good. I felt much better so I could enjoy it this time.
After lunch, we went to a black sand beach. There were lots of caves that the Japanese had dug. It was cool to walk around in those.

Next stop was mysterious road. It was soooo weird. It looked like you were going up a hill that you were actually going down. They turned off the bus and we rolled "uphill". We got out and tested water bottles and other things too. There were guides giving tours to Koreans that seemed to be going into a lot of detail explaining things. Would have been nice to have that.
Mysterious road was right by love land, which was our next stop. Love land was soooo weird. It was mostly sexual sculptures and stuff. It was kinda weird for Korea though because they're kind of more conservative.
When we finished there, we stopped at a little place to pick up some souvenirs before heading to the airport. Overall, it was a really fun trip and I'm glad I went:)

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Daddy and I would really have liked to see you riding the horse with a stick. Thanks for the blog! Glad you had a good time.

karen418 said...

I'm sorry if you didn't get to see the lava tubes! We saw them in Hawaii. It occurs when the lava on the outside of a flow cools but the molten lava keeps flowing through. It leaves behind what looks kind of like a round cave.

Can't wait to see you!!