Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Pepero Day!

I did not realize until this morning that today is a holiday in Korea. I was quickly informed by my students that today is Pepero Day. It was interesting trying to get a bunch of kindergarderners to tell me what Pepero Day was.

Student: Teacher! Today is Pepero Day!
Me: What is Pepero Day?
Student: umm...is holiday!
Me: oh, what do you do on Pepero Day?
Student: you cookie umm eat!
Me: you eat a cookie? what kind of cookie?
Student: chocolate
Student 2: no! not chocolate!
Me: ok, when do you eat this cookie?
Student: teacher! today 1-1-1-1, pepero stick look like 1-1-1-1

I looked it up online. I guess it is somewhat similar to our Valentine's Day. Pepero sticks are long skinny cookie like things with chocolate on them. Today is Pepero Day because it is 11/11 and Pepero sticks look like 1's, so 5 pepero sticks make 11/11...yeah obviously a holiday invented by the makers of the pepero stick to make more money. So I got lots of pepero sticks today:)
On a less exciting note, I seem to be catching a cold. I actually feel a little better today than I did yesterday, but my voice is almost no more...not good for teaching. Airbourne don't fail me now!
Also, yesterday when I went in to teach the pre-k class I was surprised to find 2 new kids. That's just about the last thing I need. They were both pretty good, but I'm not sure it will last... Oh, and Kathy, the one who cries, was trying to find my stickers and she bit me! She doesn't cry as much as she used to, but tends to curl up in the corner the whole class.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I know you like cookies so I hope that made for a better day. Sorry you're not feeling well. There seem to be lots of sick people here too. Maybe I need to send you echinacea. By the way I sent you a letter last week.

Think you need a rabies shot? JK.

Amber said...

awesome! a cookie holiday! and i hope you feel better soon! seems to be happening to everyone. I am sick too!

love and miss u!

Anonymous said...

im sick too jen. i teach 4's and i can't talk... it almost sounds like i am yelling ..... tell that kid she is too old to be biting that is a two year old thing... love your blogs....

Jenn said...

thanks guys! sorry to hear so many people are getting sick. I hope u guys get better soon too!