Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving Dinner

Well, I guess its about time for another update. We'll start with Friday. They have small groups that get together from church and I decided to go to one Friday night. I met Kristina and went with her cause neither of us had gone before. There were like 8 of us, which was a lot of people for one tiny apartment. It was much smaller than mine! It was 2 rooms. A bathroom and a kitchen/bedroom. It was good though. I enjoyed it. They meet at 9:30. The subway stops running at 12:30. If I had left right when it was over I would have been fine, but I made it to the subway in time to watch the last train leave:-( You would think the subway would run a little later especially on the weekends, but it doesn't. So I had to take a taxi home. One of the most valuable things you can have with you is your address written in Korean. I keep it with me all the time just in case. Cabs in Korea are pretty cheap too.
Anyway, I didn't really do much saturday. I did some laundry and cleaned, but other than that, I just relaxed. It was nice.
Sunday, I went to church and then after that, those of us who signed up for the Thanksgiving dinner rushed off to catch the bus to the subway station. We took the subway to Yongsan station and then we took cabs to a church where we got on buses to go to the military base. This process involved a lot of waiting and we were all very hungry. We finally got there though. They had the dinner in a place called the Dragon Hill Lodge. It was really nice. I thought it was going to be forever before we actually got to eat though cause they had this lady hosting the dinner that started talking about having teams and earning points to see which table got to eat first. We had to come up with as many words as we could out of the work Thanksgiving and the table with the most words got to eat first. We thought we were doing good with 28, but the winning table had 59...so we sat and waited and watched people walk by us with plates of yummy food. It really didnt take all that long though. It was an all you can eat buffet style dinner. They had turkey, ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie and a plethera of other foods and desserts that are associated with Thanksgiving (plus kimchi). It was beautiful:) and very yummy. I ate as much as I could since I paid 40,000 won to go.

They had other entertainment during dinner too. They had people sing and apparently one of the singers was from a famous korean pop band called Fly to the Sky. We got a picture with him.


So that was pretty much it. Completely worth the 40,000 won in my opinion!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sound like you had a great thanksgiving. i will miss my neighbor this thanksgiving love you. will try and keep your mom under control. ha