Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sick in Korea Excitement

Well, I woke up this morning and my voice was completely gone. I was like, there's no way I can teach like this. I didn't actually feel that bad, so Ellisa said I could come in to school to fill out a notice of absense and then they said I had to go to the hospital. This didn't really surprise me cause apparently they do this every time they get sick in Korea. So, Erica, one of the Korean teachers, took me to the "hospital." It was right across the street and I didn't even know it was there! It's right above the bank. So it wasn't really like a full hospital. This was a somewhat different experience than going to the doctor back home. We didn't have to wait long at all. First, they brought me back to this room and they asked what was wrong and everything. Then the guy tells me to say ahh and he sprays this stuff down my throat. Then he sticks these things in my nose and sprays stuff in there too. Erica said it was medicine. A warning might've been nice though. Then we leave that room and Erica informs me that I need to get an injection! Korean's like their needles I guess. So I go into another room and I find out that I get to get an injection in the butt. Wasn't too excited about that, but it didn't really hurt. You could hardly feel it. Then, I got to do something really fun! I got to play with the nasal washer machine. It takes 3 minutes. You stick this thing in your nose, 1 and a half minutes per nostril and, as the name indicates, it washes out your nose. Lots of fun! I got all this for only 4,500 won (about $4). Then we had to go to the pharmacy, conveniently located downstairs, to get my medicine. They gave me medicine for 3 days.
I think the 2 yellow things are for tea, but the rest is medicine.
I don't know why, but everytime Erica told me how much something cost, she tried to convert it into dollars. So she told me the medicine cost about 45 bucks, but the pharmacist told me 4,500 won. I was relieved it wasn't $45! So anyway, now I'm at home resting. Hopefully the pretty Korean medicine will help me and tomorrow I will have my voice again.
Oh, and here's my latest ice cream adventure from a few days ago.
Milk mix, chocolate shell, vanilla ice cream, and chocolate chips. yum:)

8 comments:

Amber said...

wow...that is an adventure! i hope you feel better soon and that ice cream looks awesome!!! wish u could send some home hahaha!

Anonymous said...

Did they wash your nose out with a neti pot. Google it. Hope you feel better. Stay away from the ice cream until you're better. Love you LOADS!

Anonymous said...

That's an awful lot of pills for a cold!

Anonymous said...

Jen hope you feel better! I was thinking almost the exact things your Mom said. Must be the Mother in us. Neti pots are quite the thing to clean out the sinuses aren't they! Drink hot tea and rest!

Jenn said...

I dunno if it was a neti pot. It was a machine, not a pot. Haven't had any ice cream since I've been sick I promise! It is a lot of pills...kinda scary that I have no idea what they are either.

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie, sorry you are sick, sounds like a lot of medicine but it should make you feel better soon. Are you taking vitamins? Need to get you some.I have not checked on you in a few days and now to find out your sick.I know you will miss Memaws macaroni and cheese for Thanksgiving, we will sure miss you.
Love you
Aunt Teresa

Jenn said...

I have been taking vitamins and I'm feeling much better now:) I will definitely miss mamaw's mac & cheese for thanksgiving almost as much as i will miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

you look like you've got some pretty good ice cream in korea, too bad you can't bring that home. and thats pretty funny you had to get a shot in the butt for a little cold. we had to get penicillin shots in the butt at basic and it didn't hurt it was just really cold then made you really sore. well you think you'll ever tell the school you're sick again?