Sunday, November 16, 2008

Is my weekend over already? It feels like they keep getting shorter:( I went hiking with Natalia, her boyfriend, and his friend on Saturday. That was an interesting experience. We went to Manisan Mountain, which is on Ganghwa Island. We were told that it would take about 30 minutes to get there, but it took almost 2 hours. Traffic in Korea is terrible! It also was raining. I've never been hiking with umbrellas before. It wasn't raining that hard so I eventually just started using mine as a walking stick, but Natalia used her umbrella the whole way! The hike was stairs almost the whole time.

It was pretty steep too. It took us 4 hours to go up and come back down so it wasn't that long of a hike, but the stairs were torturous. Even though it was rainy, it was really nice. The leaves at the top of the mountain had already mostly fallen, but at the bottom, the leaves were really pretty.

There was an insane amount of people at the top of the mountain! I don't have any pictures that come close to showing how many people there were. I think everybody in Korea hikes.

Oh, funny story: we stopped one time to take a break and there was another group that was resting too. They got out their camera and I was thinking, oh they want us to take a picture of them together, but no, they wanted to take pictures with me and Natalia. It was quite amusing. Anyway, after that we had lunch and then went to see this temple. Well, me and Natalia went to see the temple. There was a 2,000 won entrance fee and the guys said it was too expensive, so we left them.

This is a prayer wheel or something. You're supposed to turn it while you're thinking about you life.

After seeing the temple, we came back home. I think the drive back took even longer. It was fun though. I'm really glad I went.
Sunday I went to church. I got there a little late so it's still taking me over an hour to get there even without getting lost. After church I was kinda just walking around before going back home and I ran into some people from church--a girl, her cousin, and her mom. They invited me to have coffee with them so I did. The mom is Korean, but she and her daughter, Kristina, just moved here from Hawaii and her daughter doesn't speak Korean. They were really nice. We talked for a while and then we went to a place called Rhythm and Booze for dinner. Its where a lot of the foreigners hang out. They have American food:) So that was nice. After that I came back home and that was pretty much my weekend! and now it's monday again:(

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a pretty little hike. I think it's weird that the leaves at the bottom of the mountain havent fallen off the trees yet, our have been gone for awhile (in boone, idk about home). i think you should crop mommy into that picture you took of the fake top of the mountain where people who can't hike to the top fake their pictures.

Anonymous said...

That's a very mean comment about your mother, Clint. I'll have you know she made it to the top of the mountains we hiked. Not a smart comment so close to Christmas. And we still have leaves--especially maples at home.

Jenn said...

they've probably fallen now. its freezing today and there was a blanket of leaves on the ground this morning. not a very nice comment about mommy...she could've made it to the top i think.

Anonymous said...

smart girl

April Padfield said...

hahaha i love u guys!
and jen...YOUR AMAZING
and what ur doing is AMAZING
im in Africa class right now but all ive done for the last hour is read your blog and look at ur pictures!
and loved every bit of it!
ahhh i cant wait till u come home and i get to hear about it straight from u!
love u

-faye

Jenn said...

haha love u faye! u need to pay attention in africa class though! you're only aloud to look at my blog in korea class;)