Monday, October 6, 2008

My first day of school

Today was my first day of school! yay:) Elissa, the director's daughter, came to my apt to take me to the school. we stopped to get some of my money exchanged on the way so now i have korean won! we got to the school at lunchtime so i had my very first korean meal. i'm not really sure what everything was, but it wasn't bad. nothing really spicy either. there was soup with something in it, but i dunno what it was, rice, orange sprout thingys, crunchy seaweed chip like things, and something else that was like brown and gray stringy stuff...yeah i don't really know what i ate. i wasn't too good with the chopsticks, but i tried. i met the other two foreign teachers, michael and natalia. they were both really nice and helpful. i think they both said they were 30. natalia's from miami and i think michael was from florida too. he went to UNC Greensboro though. they were expecting me to have a really southern accent. michael kinda showed me around the school, which isn't very big but it's really nice. you do wear your shoes except in certain rooms. its kinda weird cause they aren't like special rooms or anything. they're just classrooms and it's not every classroom, but whatever. the toilets are normal too just in case you were wondering. anyway, i just basically observed classes today and i guess that's what i'll be doing all week and then next week i'll be teaching. my name is jennifer teacher. they don't use like ms. simpson or ms. jennifer. no, its jennifer teacher. i have already been called jessica too so it's not just something that happens in the US. when all the classes were over, the director came by to meet me. she speaks hardly any english, but she wanted to make sure everything was ok with my apt. she seemed really nice. apparently the person who lived here before me moved out only a few days before i moved in so they weren't able to fully furnish it. i will be getting a washing machine, a dresser (yeah i have nowhere to put my clothes at the moment), a toaster, and a rice cooker. yay:) after school i went out with elissa and michael for dinner. i road the bus for the first time. we went to a pizza place. now, korean pizza is not like american pizza. they like to put all kinds of weird toppings on it. we got the potato pizza. it had potatoes, corn, mushrooms, mayonaise, and other stuff on it, but it was surprisingly pretty good. after dinner elissa took me to get a t money card for riding the bus and subway and then she took me to the grocery store. its really close to my apt so its good to know where that is. i have also now seen a dunkin donuts and a mcdonalds. ok, well thats about it for now. goodnight!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You had a really full first day. It sounds really good and exciting. I'm very happy for you.

Anonymous said...

Well I am not sure about that food, but if you say it is pretty good then I will take your word for it.Maybe we can get Memaw to make some macaroni and cheese to ship to you.lol
Well have a great week and can't wait to hear more from you later.
love
Aunt Teresa

Anonymous said...

What? No kimchi?

Amber said...

I am glad to hear everything is going well. your apt. looks nice from the pictures and sounds like you haven't died from the food yet which is also good. :)

Anonymous said...

Jen,
It is great to hear how things are going and to see the pictures. I actually laughed twice, once when you said you didn't have a great sense of direction, and the toilet seat was too funny.

Glad that you have some people that you will be able to speak english with. Soon you will have to start teaching us Korean.

Can't wait to hear more of your adventures!

Anonymous said...

jen, i am so proud of you.. what a day it sounds so exciting wish i could come. i cant wait everyday to see what you have done so keep writing we love it.. aunt debbie