Sunday, October 19, 2008

My Trip to the DMZ

I'm not sure that I know much more about the DMZ than I did before I went, but it was a fun trip:) First we went to Imjingak. It was built for the people who had to leave their homes in the north. We got to walk out on Freedom Bridge, which was used for exchanging prisoners after the Korean war...
Korea-shaped pool thing
The end of the bridge
We also saw the Gyeongui Train Line. Let The Iron Horse Run Again!
Next we had lunch at the Unification Village. My first Korean meal sitting on the floor:)
Hiding behind the Kimchi pots
Lunch
Then we went to the 3rd Infiltration Tunnel. They discovered it in 1978. It was dug by North Korea to infiltrate into the south. Unfortunately, we couldn't take our cameras down into the tunnel:( We had to walk a pretty good ways down a steep hill before we actually got to the tunnel part. We had to wear hard hats cause the ceilings were pretty low.

and what do you need after a difficult hike out of a tunnel? a nice bottle of sweat! we thought it was water, but it wasn't. kinda tasted like gatorade.

Next stop, Dora Observatory. Here we got to go look out over the DMZ and North Korea. It was foggy so we couldn't actually see much. We could see more than I have pictures of though cause we weren't aloud to take pictures past the yellow line.

I got a picture with a soldier

Final stop, Dorasan Train Station. "Not the last station from the South, but the first station toward the North."
The train came so we decided to get on!
They had several blown up pictures of George Bush trying to sign with his pen turned the wrong way.
Well, overall it was a fun trip! I really enjoyed it:) As usual, more pictures will eventually be posted on facebook cause I definitely have more...it just won't be tonight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I don't know how to leave a comment! I wrote a nice long one and it disappeared. So, I'll try again. You are a busy lady and I'm so thankful you've made some friends and are enjoying your students. Hope the washing machine gets going - it took me quite awhile in Ukraine to figure it out and then it broke and I had to wash clothes in a little pot in the kitchen and hang them on the porch. They froze at night for awhile :) It's an adventure to leave the USA, that's for sure. I pray for you. Your mom seems to be doing well. I remember when sending you off to college seemed like a long ways off!!! You are loved and thought of. Blessings! Maggi McCutchen (SCCC)

Anonymous said...

شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
شركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
شركة تخزين اثاث بالرياض
شركة عزل اسطح بالرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركات نقل عفش بالمدينة
شركه تنظيف خزانات بالدمام
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here